[Geany-Users] GeanyBuiltInDebianButNoDebugger

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Oct 13 22:08:43 UTC 2020

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 23:24, Geoff Kaniuk <geoff at kaniuk.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Lex,
>
> Thanks very much for your reply - I am glad the email finally surfaced.
>   Weird that it lands up in spam - I get rubbish that evades the spam
> filter!

Gmail works in mysterious ways.  Occasionally Geany messages get put
in spam with "similar to other spam messages" type reasons.

> In the meantime, Debugger and Scope have appeared in my plugins list. I
> don't know how as I am sure I tried the usual tricks like restart Geany
> and reboot.
>
> I have been using Debugger for some weeks now - still with the GTK2
> build, and I have to say that it is an improvement on what we had
> before. Thanks :)
>
> I am glad that you confirm the uninstall command as this is outside the
> Debian packages system.  It would be time-consuming to resolve
> inadvertent  removal of any libraries.
>
> I will make the change to GTK3 after 1.37 is released.  But it would be
> really great if you could get this back into Debian. I have to say that
> Geany is the best IDE I have worked with, but loss of a debugger is a
> very serious blow. I have seen it suggested that contributors to Debian
> could provide their software as .deb packages rather than just tarballs.
> Any chance of that?

None, the project only builds Windows and one contributor builds OSX
because there is no other way.

But Geany contributors cannot be experts in all Linux distros
packaging systems, so we rely on packagers for each system, including
Debian.  Same for so called "portable" formats Appimage, snap and
flatpack.

> In future if I see no reply after a week say, maybe I should send a one
> line reminder in extremely simple language?

Possibly, gmail might allow that through :)