[Geany-Users] Is there a feature like bookmarks, but for hopping between files?

John Gabriele jgabriele at xxxxx
Wed Jun 10 23:46:57 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020, at 8:52 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 2020-06-09 11:33 a.m., John Gabriele wrote:
> > Yes, this is what I've been doing, and it works ok if there's only two files you want to see.
> >
> > I currently have a whole bunch of files open, but am primarily working on 4 files --- 2 in one project, and 2 that look very similar in a different project. The four tabs are not anywhere near each other, and selecting and dragging the tabs to be near each other is a pain, because the GUI doesn't let the tab move beyond the end of the window, so I have to drag, drop it, click the arrow a bunch of times to move the tabs one more chunk over to one side, then go find the one I want again and drag it again, and continue until it's where I want.
> >
> > It would be very useful if I could git Ctrl-. and just cycle through each of the 4 files.
> >

> You could try the NumberedBookmarks plugin. I haven't used it and when I
> just tried it I couldn't get the keybindings in the README to work, but
> I barely tried. If I understand correctly it lets you set 9 bookmarks
> (presumably they can be in different files?) and use keybindings to jump
> to them.

> Another thing that might be useful is the Commander plugin, where you
> can hit a keybinding and then type in a file's name and select/jump to
> the file.

Ok. I installed this. I see that the Commander Command Panel has a lot of choices, but that I can start typing the filename and see some options to choose from. In my case, the files I want to jump to/from are named the same (but in different directories), and the Command Panel includes close matches in addition to exact matches, so it takes about the same amount of effort to use this as to use the Documents tab in the side bar.

I've created a feature request regarding this:
https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/2523

Thanks for the help!
-- John