[Geany-Users] Linux middle mouse copy and paste

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Apr 17 08:37:51 UTC 2020

> The thing that does not work as I want unless I first paste in another window is if I use left double click for the copy part. In Geany this operation has the effect of also moving the insert point and middle mouse click does paste in that spot but it's rather meaningless. If I left click where I want to paste the copy is gone unless I first paste in another window. If I use left click + drag for the copy part the insert point is not moved and middle mouse click pastes as expected. I just learned this but doing the copy with left double click is so much easier so I am not in the habit of using left click + drag to copy a single word but if there is no way to tweak the Geany behaviour I guess I have to get used to it.

Select with double left click first, then middle click where you want
to paste, thats how X11 copy has always worked.

Thats how its working here in Geany, the browser editing this reply,
in Linux Mint 19 xed, in eclipse even.  And between them.

> In a terminal window or a terminal editor left double click does not move the insert point and middle mouse paste works without any intermediate step. This is the behaviour I would like to see also in Geany.

A terminal cursor can't be moved by the mouse, you can't click half
way through a partly typed terminal line to edit it.  The terminal
behaviour (well shell actually) was determined long before X11 even
existed.  Shells in terminals are not GUI things, they are mired in
the 1970s, so sorry we 'aint going back there.