[Geany-Users] Linux middle mouse copy and paste

Gösta Ljungdahl gosta.ljungdahl at xxxxx
Fri Apr 17 08:19:42 UTC 2020

________________________________
Från: Users <users-bounces at lists.geany.org> för Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca>
Skickat: den 17 april 2020 01:44
Till: users at lists.geany.org
Ämne: Re: [Geany-Users] Linux middle mouse copy and paste

On 2020-04-14 9:32 a.m., Gösta Ljungdahl wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> Regarding Geany on Linux.
>

> I find using the middle mouse button for copy-paste operations very handy. But this does not work within one Geany session unless I first paste in another window (accepting a text copy). Why is the direct paste inhibited and can something be done to change the behaviour to standard?

It works here on Ubuntu 19.10 with GTK+3 build in X11.

Without more information about what kind of Linux setup you have, it's
hard to say. AFAIK this should work in any X11 desktop environment and
probably also in some Wayland ones. I know in Gnome Tweak Tool there's
an option to turn it on/off, which is defaulted to on here.

Regards,
Matthew Brush

---

Thanks for the response, Mathew!

Currently I am running Mate 1.16 on CentOS 7.7.1908 and I have had similar experience on Linux Mint 19 Mate, OpenSuse, various versions and desktops, and Ubuntu 18.04 running Gnome 3 but after experimenting a little I realise that I have to be more precise in my question.

The thing that does not work as I want unless I first paste in another window is if I use left double click for the copy part. In Geany this operation has the effect of also moving the insert point and middle mouse click does paste in that spot but it's rather meaningless. If I left click where I want to paste the copy is gone unless I first paste in another window. If I use left click + drag for the copy part the insert point is not moved and middle mouse click pastes as expected. I just learned this but doing the copy with left double click is so much easier so I am not in the habit of using left click + drag to copy a single word but if there is no way to tweak the Geany behaviour I guess I have to get used to it.

In a terminal window or a terminal editor left double click does not move the insert point and middle mouse paste works without any intermediate step. This is the behaviour I would like to see also in Geany.

Kind regards,

Gösta Ljungdahl