[Geany-Users] change size, color of "show spaces"

bendov at gmx.com bendov at xxxxx
Mon Nov 5 00:46:46 UTC 2018

Thanks, Lex.  Couple more questions / comments.

Don't settings specified in color schemes override the same values in
filetypes.common?
Or is that true only for certain items?  The method mentioned of making
the background color of white_space any color that's very contrasting is
too distracting for me.  You can do this in a color scheme as well, if
you *don't* have a commented text error on a styling element line, like
I did. :(
That error appeared to break setting the "white_space" to a single color
in a scheme I was using.

Using color schemes, you shouldn't have to edit filetypes.common for
things normally present (or can be added) in color schemes - correct?

** The manual shows (possibility) of using bold, italic on certain
items.   In https://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#id195 , it
shows an example:
> key=foreground_color;background_color;bold_flag;italic_flag.
> Bold and italic are flags and should only be "true" or "false".
It gives an example that I don't fully understand: key=comment,italic.
Some scheme authors enter styling involving bold text, but I'm not sure
it works.
** Then there's a comment in the Geany **filetypes.CONF**, "**# the
lexer doesn't support keywords**."
Does that scrap using any bold / italics styling, or just for *.conf files?

Is it possible to use bold on entries from the "styling section," like
white_space?  Not sure if "boldness" of white space dots are controlled
by the font & if bold was selected in preferences?

Either way, I'm not sure what's required from the example,
"key=comment,italic" (w/o quotes).  I think I'm missing something.

** **Translucency** :
I use the explanations for styling from
https://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#settings-section.
I don't see any difference when using Translucency or
marker_translucency vs. not using them.  Maybe it's just my eyes?

Values of 1 or 256 seem no different.
Translucency values in other color schemes that used them didn't seem to
matter, that I can see.

For others FYI - in Linux the filetypes.common file was in
/usr/share/geany/filetypes.common - if Geany was installed from the
disro's repo or possibly? from a .deb file.
If Geany was installed to your home directory from a tar file, look for
the file there.