[Geany-Users] Disable syntax highlighting in .sh files

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Aug 28 21:22:16 UTC 2018

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 05:49, Dominic Hopf via Users
<users at lists.geany.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
> On Wed, 2018-08-22 at 22:21 +0000, Andrew Kennedy via Users wrote:
> > status says .sh
> >
> > I need all .sh files to open with no highlighting.
>
> Even if I'm a bit late and you probably already solved this, I'd
> suggest to try an alternate way which should work if I remember it
> correctly:
>
> 1. cp /usr/share/geany/filetype_extensions.conf to ~/.config/geany/
> 2. Start Geany
> 3. Go to Menu -> Configuration Files -> filetype_extentions.conf
> 4. Delete everything but the line starting with Sh (line 63 here, this
> may vary)
> 5. Remove .sh extension from the remaining line
>
> That way there shouldn't be anything automatically happening with .sh
> files at all and you've just overridden that setting for Shell files.

Shell files are almost certainly detected by the shebang not the
extension.  The only way of disabling this is to open files manually
set to filetype none as I said above.