[Geany-Users] Deprecated code indicator

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Sep 26 12:53:02 UTC 2017

On 26 September 2017 at 22:43,  <rhkramer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 05:00:09 AM Lex Trotman wrote:
>> On 26 September 2017 at 17:33, Ruud van Lent <ruud.van.lent at zonnet.nl>
> wrote:
>> > Deprecated methods are marked deprecated in the docblock (with the
>> > @deprecated tag). What e.g. Eclipse or PHPstorm does is display the used
>> > function with a 'striketrough'.
>> >
>> > I know that Geany is not a complete IDE like Eclipse or PHPStorm, but I
>> > was wondering if this is currently possible?
>>
>> There is nothing that provides highlighting for those sorts of
>> semantics, however strikethrough is available as a Scintilla
>> indicator, so you could make a plugin do it.
>
> Or, just to offer a (potential) alternative--I believe you could incorporate a
> change like this into the (Scintilla) (native) lexer  for PHP and then it
> would become available to any editor that used the Scintilla text editing
> widgit (there are quite a few such editors).
>
> I say this:
>    * without really knowing what Joomla CMS PHP code is, but assuming the PHP
> lexer does the hightlighting (and, I assume there is a PHP lexer in Scintilla)
>    * without really being sure--I've never successfully created or modified a
> scintilla lexer, native or otherwise, but know that a native lexer has to be
> written in C / C++ (and some other methods of writing a Scintilla lexer (like
> using Lua are not, iirc, supported by Geany)

All correct, except that strikethrough is not a style available to
Lexers, its an indicator which has to be set by the application (like
for example the red squiggly lines (technical term :) under typos and
compile errors).  If a different style could suffice then the lexer
may be able to do it.

On the other hand since the docblocks are (IIUC) specific to Joomla,
not PHP, then maybe the lexer shouldn't be infected by syntax specific
to just one of many PHP frameworks.