[Geany-Users] Deprecated code indicator

rhkramer at gmail.com rhkramer at xxxxx
Tue Sep 26 12:43:29 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 05:00:09 AM Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 26 September 2017 at 17:33, Ruud van Lent <ruud.van.lent at zonnet.nl>
wrote:
> > Deprecated methods are marked deprecated in the docblock (with the
> > @deprecated tag). What e.g. Eclipse or PHPstorm does is display the used
> > function with a 'striketrough'.
> >
> > I know that Geany is not a complete IDE like Eclipse or PHPStorm, but I
> > was wondering if this is currently possible?
>
> There is nothing that provides highlighting for those sorts of
> semantics, however strikethrough is available as a Scintilla
> indicator, so you could make a plugin do it.

Or, just to offer a (potential) alternative--I believe you could incorporate a
change like this into the (Scintilla) (native) lexer  for PHP and then it
would become available to any editor that used the Scintilla text editing
widgit (there are quite a few such editors).

I say this:
   * without really knowing what Joomla CMS PHP code is, but assuming the PHP
lexer does the hightlighting (and, I assume there is a PHP lexer in Scintilla)
   * without really being sure--I've never successfully created or modified a
scintilla lexer, native or otherwise, but know that a native lexer has to be
written in C / C++ (and some other methods of writing a Scintilla lexer (like
using Lua are not, iirc, supported by Geany)