[Geany-Users] How do I activate project releated editor settings?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Oct 16 21:25:54 UTC 2017

Le 16/10/2017 à 03:24, Joerg Desch a écrit :
> Am Mon, 16 Oct 2017 02:29:31 -0700 schrieb Matthew Brush:
>
>>> What is the correct way to use the project related settings?
>>>

>> Did you try to use `Project->Apply Default Indentation` on the files?
>
> No. I've posted my solution (which isn't good IMO) as a reply to Lex's
> posting.
>
> The term "Apply Default Indentation" sounds like switching to the global
> settings and not to use the project settings. ;-)
>
> I've tried the menu entry now. Is does the job without reloading the
> project or the files. But why is there an extra step necessary? If I
> change the indentation type, this should be applied automagically after
> closing the dialog, shouldn't it?

Well, yes and no.  Because as Lex mentioned, you can have a per-file
indentation setting, and we don't want to loose that.  So we currently
consider the setting to be the value to use for newly opened files, and
leave the currently open ones with their current setting, in case it was
intentional.  The idea is that in most cases you don't change the
indentation settings of a project after it has been set up, but might
want to change if for odd files in the project.
However, for the case you did have, we have a mean of changing the
setting for each opened files to the setting value, this "Apply Default
Indentation".

I agree that this is not the perfect solution for all cases, but for now
it's the one we have that doesn't do something unwanted -- but in your
case, doesn't do something wanted.
If anybody could come with a better solution that would not have any
more false positives, we'd probably be happy to try and implement it (or
review a patch ;)).

For now the best idea I would have is merely try and add the info in the
project preferences dialog, suggesting to apply the indentation if wanted.

Regards,
Colomban