[Geany-Users] Highlighting for todo.txt

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Oct 9 02:27:04 UTC 2017

On 9 October 2017 at 04:54, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 2017-10-08 11:41 AM, Matthew Petty wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to create a filedef for a single file? For example instead
>> of defining the extension as "*.txt", could it be "todo.txt"?
>>

> Should work fine. Make a custom filetype as shown in the Geany manual, and
> then in the filetype_extensions.conf file, use `todo.txt` instead of the
> pattern `*.txt`. I believe Makefiles already do this.
>
>> Secondly, how can I set highlighting for "any string starting with @". Is
>> that possible?
>>

> I believe there is a plugin that highlights TODO and FIXME and such.
> Otherwise you could do it by writing your own plugin. I'm not aware of a way
> to do it without writing a plugin.

Matthew B:

Addons extracts TODO and FIXME etc to a tab in the messages window, is
that what you are thinking of?  It doesn't highlight them.

Matthew P:

If its for your custom filetype you would need to find a lexer that
highlighted @strings, not aware of one but maybe some language does.
A plugin can't highlight, but it can apply indicators, maybe one of
those is suitably visible for your purposes.