[Geany-Users] Missing Eclipse Features?

Chris Spencer chrisspen at xxxxx
Sat May 6 19:45:10 UTC 2017

> AFAIK, you cannot do that in Geany, but you can start Geany twice, and
open a different project in each instance. Other than that, you can open
any file regularly with File > Open. Also, I think there is a plugin that
adds a full filebrowser to the sidebar, but I haven't used it yet.

I just tested this, and it looks like you can only create 1 instance of
Geany when specifying a project. Launching Geany from the command line
(e.g. geany myproject.geany &) will create a one instance, after which
further launches will try to re-use the last instance to load a project,
asking you to close the first project before loading the new one. Is this a
bug? I can't imagine why anyone would want to only work on one project at a
time.

A workaround seems to be to just run "geany &", which does allow you can
use to launch an arbitrary number of instances, but then you have to
manually use the project dialog to open your project.