[Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Peter Popov BM-2cTDJaqjhycfL9bPqx62uqpoU75BcNGdze at xxxxx
Tue Jun 6 13:58:00 UTC 2017

Little Girl:
> Ah, then you'd have to get around that by copying it to another file,
> letting that one save, and leave the unchanged original intact.

Yes. It's the same plugin. From this point of view Geany is extremely
well organized. Although the first day I had a problem with double
closing brackets as the bracket closing extension does not disable the
geany preferences.

> By the way, auto-save is dangerous unless you keep incremental
> copies of each one.

Certainly. And also dangerous is to rely on the user to remember to save
often.

> There was no way to retrieve the data. I
> rewrote what I could remember of it, but I could feel that it wasn't
> as good the second time around.

Which makes for a cleaner rewrite as the story is already clearer in the
mind. Which would make sense to disable the auto save. It can also be a
waste of time.

> If I wanted auto-save [...] I'd write a script to capture each auto-save
> the instant the program spits it out and rename it with the date and
> time (to the second) and do manual clean-up afterwards.

Geany has it all in the same extension. Save actions.