[Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Little Girl littlergirl at xxxxx
Tue Jun 6 18:40:59 UTC 2017

Hey there,

Peter Popov wrote:
> Little Girl:
> > Ah, then you'd have to get around that by copying it to another
> > file, letting that one save, and leave the unchanged original
> > intact.

> Yes. It's the same plugin. From this point of view Geany is
> extremely well organized. Although the first day I had a problem
> with double closing brackets as the bracket closing extension does
> not disable the geany preferences.

I'm not sure I've encountered that. Did you end up solving it?

> > By the way, auto-save is dangerous unless you keep incremental
> > copies of each one.

> Certainly. And also dangerous is to rely on the user to remember to
> save often.

Yes. I've noticed that as my current handicap as well, but not for
long now that I know Geany has a handy way of doing incremental
auto-saves.

> > There was no way to retrieve the data. I rewrote what I could
> > remember of it, but I could feel that it wasn't as good the
> > second time around.

> Which makes for a cleaner rewrite as the story is already clearer
> in the mind. Which would make sense to disable the auto save.

No, definitely not. In that case it was frustrating because I was
acutely aware that my second approach wasn't nearly as good as my
first. You can just tell when you're writing magic, and I wrote magic
that day, but only once...

> It can also be a waste of time.

Yes, but I like the idea of the safety net just in case, so I'm happy
you and someone else in here mentioned that I can have one without
needing to script it.

> > If I wanted auto-save [...] I'd write a script to capture each
> > auto-save the instant the program spits it out and rename it with
> > the date and time (to the second) and do manual clean-up
> > afterwards.

> Geany has it all in the same extension. Save actions.

Yes, thanks! Thanks to both of you for letting me know about it!

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.