[Geany-Users] plugins, markdown, autogen.sh, and intltoolize

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Thu Dec 28 22:28:17 UTC 2017

Le 28/12/2017 à 08:01, Muddleglum Smith a écrit :
> Is this where geany plugin installation problems can be discussed? If
> not, please inform me where to go and don't waste your time reading
> onward.

Nope that's a good place.

> I'm trying to get the markdown plugin to work on my Fedora 26.
>
> Matthew Brush (codebrainz) kindly wrote to me:
> ...the latest release version:
> https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins/tree/1.32.0
> ..."Download ZIP" link under the green "Clone or Download" button.
> Assuming ... `/usr` prefix, and ... something like this should work:
>  $ unzip ...
>  $ cd geany-plugins ...
>  $ ./autogen.sh --with-geany-libdir=/usr/lib --disable-all-plugins --enable-
> markdown
>
> No problems until that last. I'm informed that intltoolize command isn't found.
> Question: Erase that line? or what? I'm assuming that the line isn't
> pertinent for english setups, but --

Install intltool.  Yes, if you use US English it's not *really*
necessary to have translation setup, but the translation infrastructure
depends on it and can't be deactivated.  Well, you could have some fun
removing it, but I don't recommend that.  If you don't want to build the
translations themselves for some reason (why I wouldn't know as it's
cheap and easier), you can play with LINGUAS or something -- check some
docs.  But the simpler and most reasonable is to install intltool which
will definitely be packaged in Fedora.

> Note: I tried ./configure with the same parameters, but the system
> couldn't find ./configure. There *is* a configure.ac, but I'm thinking
> that if autogen.sh reaches the last line it, too, will fail. Dunno,
> though.

You need to run autogen.sh to generate configure indeed.  If you want to
generate the configure script without running it, use:

$ NOCONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh

> Should I try configure.ac with the parameters given above?

Nope, configure.ac is a "source" file to be processed by autoreconf, not
a ready-to-use script.

However, about the goal: I'm afraid Geany on Fedora might be built
against GTK3, and that the markdown plugin doesn't work with GTK3
(yet?).  So you might need to also rebuild Geany to use GTK2.

Regards,
Colomban