[Geany-Users] question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at xxxxx
Thu Apr 27 00:54:23 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 April 2017 at 12:16, o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 24 April 2017 at 09:07, o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> (Possible issue - - - I changed a top posted response to a bottom posting - - -
>> sorry!  D)
>
> Don't worry, not consistent about that anyway :)

>> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 7:16 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You need to provide a small actual file that shows the problem so
>>> people can reproduce it. We can't do anything from the description.
>>> With lines which show shifts both ways.  Using pastebin is fine
>>> (clearly with no actual data in it).
>>
>> Well - - - the actual data is my financial data which isn't going anywhere.
>> The VM is quite disconnected from the web in fact.
>
> Well, you went to the trouble of typing the explanation, but that
> doesn't produce any problem here, can't you just type an example that
> shows the problem with values of 12345.00 or whatever?  If you can't
> make a small file that shows the problem then neither can we, and we
> have not actually seen the problem yet.  If we can't reproduce it we
> can't fix it.
>

>>> Note that monospace isn't usually a font, its an alias for some named
>>> font, so you need to find what that font is to tell if its REALLY
>>> monospace.
>>
>> A description (in detail please) on how to determine what font it actually is
>> would be useful.
>
> That depends on your desktop, its not a Geany thing.  In my Cinnamon
> desktop its under Menu->Preferences->Fonts but your mileage may
> differ.
>

>>> Also version of Geany and operating system you are using would be useful.
>>
>> The version of Geany was first 1.29.1 and was upgraded to 1.30.1 Thursday or
>> Friday. The operating system was mentioned in the last email.
>
> You said its a VM running on Debian, whats running in the VM?
The vm is on debian testing and the vm on debian stable.

>> If this inability to visualize the problem impedes a solution then I guess that
>> I will need to continue searching for a text editor that is easy to use by
>> a noob, needs a minimal amount of 'unusualness' and has a good search
>> system. Geany meets all of these but is insisting on not only reading
>> differently
>> in other environments but even occasionally reading differently when a file is
>> closed and then re-opened.
>
> You mean the file looks different if it is closed by Geany and
> re-opened by Geany without any other tools touching it?
>

>> I tried to give you as close as possible a visual of what was happening but as
>> I am using an 87 character line - - - - well 80 spaces can't display
>> 87 so even if
>> I could put the information here - - - you want actual copy of the file and its
>> not anything I'm putting on the web. Why 87 characters - - - well I need room
>> for the various items of each line and there must be a certain amount of white
>> space between the 'description' part and the amount otherwise there are other
>> issues. (Found that particular need just recently.)
>>
>> So you have everything that I 'can' give. Hopefully its enough.
>
> As I said above, can't reproduce the problem yet.

I looked at reproducing with changes to obscure direct information but
realized that
doing a good job of that was going to take a lot of time, something
I'm short of with
all the projects going on. Decided to see if there wasn't some other
way to look at
things.

Its a simple thing but that's what makes it frustrating. One can have
any tab spacing
you want as long as its 8 spaces. Anything else and there will be a number of
different ways to display the file.

(The file is a text file. Not programming but a file with names,
dates, dollar amounts
and such so no real fancy anything.)

What was interesting was there are about 3 different groups of text
file editors. I had
about 15 different ones installed trying to find something that would
give me what I
want - - - a text file editor where I can use some sub-routines that I
can call in my
'text' and also an editor that has a great search function. That
search function was
a very interesting problem as some of the 'more entrenched' editors
actually have
search functions that are not easy to use. There are a number of 'not
major' text editors
that have some very interesting features. As I also need something
that I can easily
train someone else to my book keeper in the legacy editors suffered
there. At present
I have found a small number of editors that seem to fill my needs. I
will continue to
use them and over time likely work with just one. Geany has a great
search function
and after I realized that tabs MUST be 8 spaces - - - well it works.

Thanking those that spend time in the reading or trying to replicate
my issue. Hopefully
posting what I have found will be at least some compensation for their effort!

Thanking those responsible for Geany for good work!

Regards

Dee