[Geany-Users] Adding a filetype

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Jan 27 18:16:48 UTC 2016

Le 27/01/2016 15:24, Alain Aupeix a écrit :
> Le 27/01/2016 15:04, Colomban Wendling a écrit :
>> […]
>> in your custom filetype.  Custom filetypes have additional keys you need
>> to fill in.  (BTW, you probably also want to fill in tag_parser).
> What's the purpose ?
> Auto-completion ?

Parsing symbols from the file, which populates the Symbols pane, and
yes, is also used for auto-completion purposes (and type highlighting).

> I notice too, that with filetypes.c, there were symbols (some were wrong)
> But now, no more symbols.
>
> How to activate it ?
> How to have a good parsing of functions and variables ?

Well, extracting symbols is done by some C code, so if none of the
existing parsers work for your case, you'll have to write it -- a CTags
parser -- and integrate it.  Harder, but not impossible.

However, if C was (mostly) good, just use tag_parser=C and done.  You
can also try C++, C#, Java, Vala or whatnot, depending on who much alike
your language is similar to one of those ("similar" here having a subtle
meaning of "how well the parser for it handles your language").

Regards,
Colomban