[Geany-Users] Create custom lexer: segmentation fault

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sun Dec 18 09:42:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

Le 18/12/2016 à 10:00, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> Your two backtraces show different things, the -old one indeed shows a
> crash during document open, inside scintilla but to do with closing
> the blank page in the notebook before opening your file.

Well they both lead to remove_page(), destroying a ScintillaObject and
downhill from there, so I guess it's tightly related even though the
trace is slightly different

> The crash is in libgail which (IIUC) is used in ATK the accessibility
> technology for which there were some new additions to scintilla
> recently.
>
> The -new backtrace shows a crash while shutting down Geany, not
> opening a file, but again in libgail while closing a notebook tab.
>
> These may not be related to your lexer, you are just "lucky" to manage
> to cause the problem to occur.  Hopefully the ATK expert will be in
> touch if thats the cause since (presumably) this doesn't happen with
> his system.

Yeah, actually I guess I know where it comes from, see
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/scintilla-interest/uFysitczmag/qjZ30KN_BwAJ

As said however I didn't see no problem here, neither crashes nor
Valgrind complaining, but maybe I'm lucky or something.  I'll try and
come up with a patch later today, so if that's the reason of the crash
Fardet could tell me :)

> On 18 December 2016 at 18:36, Fardet Tanguy <fardet.tanguy at laposte.net> wrote:
>> Hi Matthew,
>>
>> thanks for your reply!
>>
>> I did some modifications on the lexer since yesterday, so I ran gdb on both
>> commits just to show that it's not related.

Unfortunately those backtraces don't show enough information for good
debugging as is, because of missing debugging symbols for GLib, GTK2 and
GAIL.  Could you please install the -dbg package for those and re-submit
the backtrace?  One is enough I think, as they both end up in
remove_page() and likely the same bunch of stuff after that.

Cheers,
Colomban