[Geany-Users] 1.25 incorrectly detecting file changes

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Wed Jul 29 10:09:31 UTC 2015

Am 29.07.2015 um 11:42 schrieb Михаил Гаврилов:
>> This could handle identifying that the underlying file has changed at
>> save time, but currently Geany identifies that the file changed a few
>> tens of seconds after it happens.  Then it is more convenient for the
>> user to do something about it, rather than doing a large editing
>> session then finding there is a problem.
> Oh...
> I think is not good idea identifies that the file changed a few tens
> of seconds after it happens.
> For example I watch log file which is really changed every second.
> Notification every tens of seconds would be very annoying.
> Another case two developers edited source file directly.
> Of course be better use here version control but my suggestion also
> can help here solve conflicts.

Geany is an editor, not a log viewer. So please understand that that use
case has lower priority to us.

You could write a plugin that auto reloads every 0.5s or so, then you
should never see the notifcation (conceptually, not considering dodgy
behavior on remote file systems).

And no editor can help against two (or more) developers shooting each
other in the foot by editing the same file.

Best regards