[Geany-Users] Latest version of geany problems

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Jul 14 09:10:05 UTC 2015

On 14 July 2015 at 18:42, Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org> wrote:
> Am 14.07.2015 um 10:26 schrieb James Brierley:
>>
>> On 14/07/15 09:16, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems your distro hasn't updated the geany-plugins packages yet.
>>> geany-plugins 1.24 is binary-incompatible with geany 1.25.
>>

>> Another thing to note is that a freshly compiled Geany 1.25 with GTK 3
>> enabled says that it isn’t compatible with similarly freshly compiled
>> version 1.25 plugins. Disabling GTK 3 stopped it complaining. (I hope this
>> isn’t just me being stupid.)
>>

> Plugins also need to be compiled against GTK3. You have to pass
> --enable-gtk3 in the same way.

I don't think you do, it looks at the Geany it is being built for.  I
built G-P against my gtk3 geany and it made gtk3 plugins, and rejected
the gtk2 only ones without any --enable-gtk3 on the plugin configure.

> But not all plugins are compilable under GTK3 yet. Therefore, if you have
> previously installed GTK2 plugins, then some of them will become stale if
> you just install the GTK3 plugins over them, and Geany will report
> incompatibility for the stale ones.

Yes thats something to look out for, as only some plugins are gtk3
compatible it won't replace or delete any old gtk2 ones, but they
should not load.

>> A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this release. Geany goes
>> from strength to strength, and in 20 years’ I look forward to telling people
>> “I was using Geany before it was cool.”
>

> It's been always cool :>

+1