[Geany-Users] [ANN] Geany for OS X

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Fri Jan 30 15:07:27 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

in the last couple of weeks I've been playing with Geany on OS X and got it
to the state where Geany is fully functional, integrated with OS X and have
a self-contained app bundle so Geany can be distributed without any
additional external dependencies. Apart from the few limitations listed
below I'm not aware of any problems.

This is where I would find it very useful if the brave souls among you who
are not scared of running unknown binaries from the Internet and who use OS
X could try out the binaries I uploaded here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2554438/Geany-1.25git.dmg

Any feedback is welcome.

Features:
* Integrated menubar
* Opening files from Finder using Open With
* Opening files using drag and drop to Geany icon
* Double-click on project file in Finder opens the project
* Retina font rendering
* All basic plugins (without extra dependencies) and themes included by
default

Limitations:
* The VTE terminal is missing (VTE doesn't work, seems to be a problem in
VTE itself)
* Scrolling the editor window is somewhat slow using the mouse

Requirements:
* OS X 10.7 or higher (I have tested just with Yosemite)
* x64 processor

I will try to get all the necessary patches into Geany mainline (some are
already being reviewed, some - the integration ones - I haven't published
yet) and will make a github project with the app bundle creation
instructions + all the necessary config files, themes, icons, etc. I also
plan to provide OS X binaries for all the future Geany releases.

Cheers,

Jiri