[Geany-Users] no printing

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Dec 28 22:10:04 UTC 2015

On 29 December 2015 at 06:55, Ray Andrews <rayandrews at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> On 12/28/2015 10:53 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>> A bit more information would be useful, like version of geany,
>

> 1.23.1, but this goes way back.
>>
>>   your
>> operating system,
>

> Debian stable and/or testing.
>>
>> gtk versions.  Just post the top 3-4 lines of
>> menu->help->debug messages as well as the OS version
>
> 12:13:49: Geany INFO        : Geany 1.23.1, en_US.UTF-8
> 12:13:49: Geany INFO        : GTK 2.24.28, GLib 2.44.1
> 12:13:49: Geany INFO        : System data dir: /usr/share/geany
>
> There's no obvious error, it just prints blank pages.  However ...
> fooling around with it again, I find that if I set:
>
> Color > ColorModel: Greyscale
> and
> Advanced > Ink Type: Black
>
> ... then it prints,  but stock settings give only blanks. "Preview" shows
> blank pages, so it seems to be related to ink darkness or something.  The
> printer obviously thinks it's doing what it should.

The background colour is forced to white to avoid using up all your
ink/toner if you have a dark theme, but the foreground (eg text)
colours are not changed since you might *want* the ones chosen.  Of
course that may get you white text on a white background.

The solution is to select a theme with a light background to print.
There is an enhancement proposal to have a specific theme for
printing, but "somebody" has to implement it.

> However I can only select
>
> Range > All Pages
>
> ... never 'Current Page'.

Thats in the system print dialog (or at least the GTK one) so we don't
control what options it presents.  I guess it depends on the print
driver if specific pages can be selected.