[Geany-Users] Looking to contribute

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Dec 13 02:21:52 UTC 2015

On 13 December 2015 at 11:47,  <rhkramer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sujeet,
>
> (Shall I call you Sujeet?)
>
> Yes, I can supply more details, and we can take this off list if either you or
> others on the list prefer.

You should always keep discussion on-list, that way you have less risk
of proudly announcing your new feature only to be told you have wasted
your time and you should have done it another way.  Keeping it on-list
means you are more likely to find out early before you do too much
effort. :)

> I need to spend some time getting my head screwed on straight again as far as
> the syntax and so forth go.
>
> Just a little preliminary information:
>
>    * A lexer / folder would actually be an addition to the Scintilla project,
> which is what the Geany project uses for--well, I guess I'd call it the main
> editing and display widget.

Correct, its better to submit new lexers there.

>    * IIRC, there are at least three ways to write a lexer / folder for
> Scintilla, one is as a native C/C++ module, one is in LUA, and I think there
> is a third way.  I'd prefer to see it done as a native C/C++ module because I
> assume (I know) that would execute faster.

Geany only supports C++ lexers, lua ones are a Scite feature AFAIK.

> There are two "styles" which have been used, one is as a C subroutine and the
> other is as a C++ object.  (My terminology probably isn't exactly correct.)  I
> would prefer that the C++ object approach be used, as that is the more modern
> and I sort of hope it might also be faster (but I suspect it is not).

The speed difference is probably immaterial, what you need is a clear
easily maintained implementation for submission to Scintilla, so
making it similar to other lexers is the way to go.

>    * One of the main variations to the basic TWiki Markup language that I need
> to handle is that I allow multiple TWiki records to exist in the same file,
> You could consider the file to be basically an mbox email file with TWiki
> records delimited by mbox From header, but with some restrictions placed on
> it.
>
> I'd like the lexing of the From header to be sufficient to confirm that the
> header is valid, at least in the applications I use.

Scintilla lexers do not do syntax or semantic checking, they are for
highlighting only and should be tolerant of erroneous code, since it
will exist whilst you are typing.  You would need to put the checking
code elsewhere, in a plugin maybe.