[Geany-Users] [ANN] Geany for OS X

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Mon Apr 6 20:45:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 1:57 AM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> On 2015-04-05 6:28 PM, Jiří Techet wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 1:38 AM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca>
>> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> When I just installed it, it still did a warning message, I think it was
>>> something about the program coming from the Internet or some such, FYI.
>>>

>> This one is OK, you always get it. However, if the application isn't
>> signed, you get this:
>>
>> http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/27/app-cant-be-opened-because-
>> it-is-from-an-unidentified-developer/
>>
>> and it won't start unless you right-click the bundle and select Open (just
>> for the very first time).
>>

> Ah, ok, I got this one for Thunderbird the other day, it's so stupid.

You can disable it in preferences (Security & Privacy) if you don't like
it. I actually like the signing (at least in principle) so if some software
turns out to be a trojan, Apple can ban it and disable its execution (the
revoked signing key database is updated automatically by the system). Of
course it also means that Apple has a complete control over your software
and you have to pay for the possibility to distribute your software which
is definitely not as nice...

Did you use your own developer key to sign it? I wonder if we could get one
> for Geany so you don't have to pay for and use your own (if you care)?

Yes, I did, but I have to be registered anyway so don't worry. I don't
think it's worth for Geany to spend $100 a year just to sign the OS X
binaries. I signed it just because I already had the certificate and it
saves users from performing some extra steps after installation.

Cheers,

Jiri