[Geany-Users] Problem with mouse copy/paste

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Thu May 8 06:38:07 UTC 2014

Am 08.05.2014 08:30, schrieb Alessandro Pasotti:
> <mailto:elextr at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 7 May 2014 22:36, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com
>     <mailto:apasotti at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I'm not sure it is a geany bug but this is the only GTK
>     application I use
>     > and I'm on kubuntu 14.04.
>     >
>     > The problem seems the same described here:
>     >
>     > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1032119
>     >
>     > - Copy-paste with mouse wheel fails
>     > + Left-click clears PRIMARY buffer selection (Copy-paste with
>     middle-
>     > + button/mouse wheel fails)
>     >
>     > To reproduce, try the following steps in gedit, geany or jedit
>     (same in old
>     > bug-report):
>     >
>     > 1) Select some text, thus copying it to the primary
>     > copy-paste-buffer-thingy.
>     > 2) *Left* click somewhere on the document, thus clearing the
>     selection.
>     > 3) Click mouse wheel (middle click).
>     >

>     Many people brought up on cut/copy to clipboard and paste do not seem
>     to grasp that the selection is a *selection*, it is not copied to a
>     clipboard.
>
>     The applications that the bug reporters call "working" are doing the
>     wrong thing and copying the selection to the CLIPBOARD or internally
>     preserving it even after it is unselected.
>
>     When the middle paste is used it pastes the PRIMARY selection, or if
>     there is no selection pastes clipboard.  So the applications doing the
>     wrong thing will paste (either from their own internal copy or from
>     clipboard), but those doing the right thing won't.
>
>     Cheers
>
>     Lex
>

> Sorry but I don't understand your answer, I try to describe better the
> steps to reproduce:
>
>  1) Select some text by *Left* clicking and move the mouse over the
> text, then release the *Left* click [1]
>  2) *Left* click somewhere on the document, usually in the place you
> want to paste
>  3) Click mouse wheel (middle click).
>  4) nothing is pasted
>

> is this the expected behavior?
>
> (not for me)
Am 08.05.2014 08:30, schrieb Alessandro Pasotti:
> <mailto:elextr at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 7 May 2014 22:36, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com
>     <mailto:apasotti at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I'm not sure it is a geany bug but this is the only GTK
>     application I use
>     > and I'm on kubuntu 14.04.
>     >
>     > The problem seems the same described here:
>     >
> [...]

I think so. Nothing should be pasted if there is no selection. But I
think many other applications make X paste the previous selected
(presumably by copying the selection into the clipboard).

Best regards