[Geany-Users] Problem with mouse copy/paste

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at xxxxx
Thu May 8 06:30:54 UTC 2014

> On 7 May 2014 22:36, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not sure it is a geany bug but this is the only GTK application I use
> > and I'm on kubuntu 14.04.
> >
> > The problem seems the same described here:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1032119
> >
> > - Copy-paste with mouse wheel fails
> > + Left-click clears PRIMARY buffer selection (Copy-paste with middle-
> > + button/mouse wheel fails)
> >
> > To reproduce, try the following steps in gedit, geany or jedit (same in
> old
> > bug-report):
> >
> > 1) Select some text, thus copying it to the primary
> > copy-paste-buffer-thingy.
> > 2) *Left* click somewhere on the document, thus clearing the selection.
> > 3) Click mouse wheel (middle click).
> >

> Many people brought up on cut/copy to clipboard and paste do not seem
> to grasp that the selection is a *selection*, it is not copied to a
> clipboard.
>
> The applications that the bug reporters call "working" are doing the
> wrong thing and copying the selection to the CLIPBOARD or internally
> preserving it even after it is unselected.
>
> When the middle paste is used it pastes the PRIMARY selection, or if
> there is no selection pastes clipboard.  So the applications doing the
> wrong thing will paste (either from their own internal copy or from
> clipboard), but those doing the right thing won't.
>
> Cheers

Lex

Sorry but I don't understand your answer, I try to describe better the
steps to reproduce:

 1) Select some text by *Left* clicking and move the mouse over the text,
then release the *Left* click [1]
 2) *Left* click somewhere on the document, usually in the place you want
to paste
 3) Click mouse wheel (middle click).
 4) nothing is pasted

is this the expected behavior?

(not for me)

[1] this is the way I usually select-copy text under X

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it