[Geany-Users] Problem with mouse copy/paste

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu May 8 00:23:56 UTC 2014

On 7 May 2014 22:36, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure it is a geany bug but this is the only GTK application I use
> and I'm on kubuntu 14.04.
>
> The problem seems the same described here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1032119
>
> - Copy-paste with mouse wheel fails
> + Left-click clears PRIMARY buffer selection (Copy-paste with middle-
> + button/mouse wheel fails)
>
> To reproduce, try the following steps in gedit, geany or jedit (same in old
> bug-report):
>
> 1) Select some text, thus copying it to the primary
> copy-paste-buffer-thingy.
> 2) *Left* click somewhere on the document, thus clearing the selection.
> 3) Click mouse wheel (middle click).

Many people brought up on cut/copy to clipboard and paste do not seem
to grasp that the selection is a *selection*, it is not copied to a
clipboard.

The applications that the bug reporters call "working" are doing the
wrong thing and copying the selection to the CLIPBOARD or internally
preserving it even after it is unselected.

When the middle paste is used it pastes the PRIMARY selection, or if
there is no selection pastes clipboard.  So the applications doing the
wrong thing will paste (either from their own internal copy or from
clipboard), but those doing the right thing won't.