[Geany-Users] different desktop themes

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue Jun 17 15:46:25 UTC 2014

Le 17/06/2014 17:23, Kevin McCormick a écrit :
> I just installed geany-1.24.1 on my Slackware 14.1 x86_64 system.  I had
> set my /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file to point to the oxygen-gtk theme.  Geany
> seemed to be using a lot of memory and cpu time, causing my cpu fan to
> start whirring. Geany was also very slow in the preferences
> configuration dialog.  This had never happened with geany before.  I
> reset the etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc to point to Clearlooks-Classic and geany
> quieted down and the preferenced dialog seemed to be normal again.
> Maybe there is something in the interface handling of themes that needs
> some attention.

Or maybe simply oxygen-gtk simply needs to be fixed.  Geany does nothing
special regarding any theme and has very few app-specific themes -- yet
all using the standard GTK ways.  And in the preference dialog we don't
do any theme-related stuff AFAIK.

Anyway, oxygen-gtk has a long history of breaking at least with Geany,
and it is the only theme that was reported doing such a thing.  And
honestly, I'm not so surprised that it is a bit broken, as it is "a port
of the Oxygen theme to GTK", so I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's
full of hacks.

All this said, if someone wants to take the time to find out what's the
real problem with oxygen-gtk, and if it indeed shows there's something
we do that's problematic and that's 100% not the theme fault, we
probably would be happy to fix such a thing.  We just believe it's
oxygen-gtk's fault (again, that's the only theme anybody reported
problematic) and unfortunately don't have time or willingness to debug
such probably subtle issue in that theme ourselves.

Regards,
Colomban