[Geany-Users] Command chaining

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Dec 5 05:01:22 UTC 2014

On 5 December 2014 at 11:18, Francois Tonneau
<francois.tonneau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello--
>
> I have a minor technical question about custom build-menu commands and the
> context-action command for a specific file type.
>
> I have noticed that build-menu commands accept command chaining such
> as:
>
> command_1 && command_2 && command_3
>
> whereas chaining does not seem to work when specifying a context-action
> command. The only workaround I found in the latter case was to call the shell
> with the -c string option:
>
> sh -c 'command_1 && command_2 && command_3'
>
> which effectively converts the chain of commands into a single one.

The command chaining is preformed by the shell.

The difference is because the build commands are run in a shell (on
Linux) whilst the context action commands are not run in a shell.

As you found you can can manually run the shell for the context action commands.