[Geany-Users] calling a console application?

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Sep 20 05:33:09 UTC 2013

On 13-09-19 10:12 PM, Vitali Samurov wrote:
> Hello Community,
>
> is it possible to call an external console application from Geany in
> such a way that it will start a Windows console with fully functional
> input / output?
> I have assigned compiler and flash-tool  in 'Set Build Command'
> settings, they start in a clean console, but it is Ok since I can see
> STDOUT in Geany window. But it is not Ok when I want to start an emulator.

Hi,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on what tools you are using
specifically, what build commands you have set, what you are expecting
and what you are getting, in a little more detail?

If I had to guess from your description, it sounds like you are trying
to run a Windows GUI program (google for WinMain) which doesn't get any
stdio streams to write to, rather than a console application that's
hooked up to stdio streams. This is kind of a quirk of Windows where GUI
apps can't (by default) output to stdout and stderr. Maybe your
particular GUI tool has a command-line option to attach a console to it.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush