[Geany-Users] Custom color highlighting

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Oct 19 23:42:12 UTC 2013

On 20 October 2013 00:46, Dennis Drescher <dennis at dreschers.info> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I am new to the Geany IDE but I am really liking it. I am using it in
> Ubuntu. One particular application I want to adapt if for requires color
> highlighting. I am tying to work through the user manual (
> http://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#lexer-filetype) but
> admittedly, it is a steep learning curve for me. I have created color
> highlighting/syntax for this same application in Gedit but their system is
> totally different. I think Geany will be a much better environment if I can
> get color highlighting working.

You need to read the section on making custom filetypes.

> I created a custom filetypes file (a copy of the filetypes.latex) and put
> it in the .config/geany/filedefs folder. I added the type to the
> filedefs_extensions.conf and I am trying to edit the filetypes.usfm to get
> the color highlighting to start working. To start, I have edited these two
> sections:
>
> [keywords]
> # all items must be in one line
> primary=\id \h \toc1 \mt1

If you use the latex lexer you don't need to put the backslashes.

> [settings]
> # default extension used when saving files
> extension=usfm

You need to specify a lexer_filetype=latex setting so Geany knows how to
identify parts of your file to highlight (assuming you copied
filetypes.latex because latex is similar).

Regards
Lex