[Geany-Users] Custom color highlighting

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Oct 19 23:18:11 UTC 2013

On 13-10-19 06:46 AM, Dennis Drescher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to the Geany IDE but I am really liking it. I am using it in Ubuntu.
> One particular application I want to adapt if for requires color highlighting. I
> am tying to work through the user manual (
> http://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#lexer-filetype) but admittedly,
> it is a steep learning curve for me. I have created color highlighting/syntax
> for this same application in Gedit but their system is totally different. I
> think Geany will be a much better environment if I can get color highlighting
> working.
>
> I created a custom filetypes file (a copy of the filetypes.latex) and put it in
> the .config/geany/filedefs folder. I added the type to the
> filedefs_extensions.conf and I am trying to edit the filetypes.usfm to get the

Rename it to filetypes.USFM.conf and make sure the one you added to
filetypes_extensions.conf has the same exact name 'USFM' as in the .conf
filename.

Also just to be sure, you copied filedefs_extensions.conf into
~/.config/geany or you edited the system-wide one in-place as root or
something?

> color highlighting to start working. To start, I have edited these two sections:
>
> [keywords]
> # all items must be in one line
> primary=\id \h \toc1 \mt1

I'm not really sure but you might need to escape those backslashes to
prevent the configuration file parser from interpreting them as escape
sequences like `\\id \\h \\toc1` etc.

> [settings]
> # default extension used when saving files
> extension=usfm

I think you might also need these two in [settings] group:

     lexer_filetype=LaTeX
     tag_parser=LaTeX

> This is a sample of data I am testing with:
>
> \id cid
> \h heading
> \toc1 Table of Contents
> \mt1 Main Title
>
> So far I have not had any success getting any markers to "light up". Any
> suggestions on what I should do next. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can
> give.

Geany often dumps useful information onto terminal which can also be
accessed from Help->Debug Messages. You might find something noteworthy
in there.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush