[Geany-Users] Geany portable and new filetype

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Oct 1 21:33:52 UTC 2013

On 13-10-01 08:59 AM, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> Hallo Matthew,
>
>>> GeanyPortable\App\DefaultData\Settings\filedefs
>>> GeanyPortable\App\DefaultData\Settings\tags
>>> GeanyPortable\App\Geany\data
>>> GeanyPortable\Data\Data\Settings
>>> GeanyPortable\Data\Data\Settings\filedefs
>>> GeanyPortable\Data\Data\Settings\tags
>>>
>>> I don't know what they are for.
>>>

>> They aren't part of Geany either, but presumably it's one of the
>> `filedefs` directories since that's what you're asking about.
>
> I guess one is the default and one is a user settings directory. But
> why 6. What are the tags subdirs?

It's explained pretty well in the user manual, but `tags` subdirectory
is unsurprisingly for CTags files that Geany uses for symbols tree and
auto-completion.

>>> I have edited the 4. and 5. of them and included a line: S=*.s;
>>>
>>> I also have created a file
>>>
>>> GeanyPortable\Data\settings\filedefs\filetypes.s
>>>
>>> and copyed this to
>>>
>>> GeanyPortable\Data\settings\filedefs\filetypes.s.conf
>>>

>> You definitively don't need both. You want a file called
>> `filetypes.S.conf` (notice upper case S - it's important). You need to
>> put that into whatever directory the portable version finds filedefs
>> from.
>
> In Windows the upper- and lower case names are identical!

Maybe to Windows, but I'm not sure if some program is listing the
directory and parsing the capital `S` out of the file name to match it
with the capital `S` inside filetype_extensions.conf.

>>> but neither the syntax highlighter nor the build command is
>>> recogniced.
>>>
>>> If I try to use the menu to configure the build commands, these
>>> commands get saved in the file
>>>
>>> GeanyPortable\Data\settings\filedefs\filetypes.common
>>> not in
>>> filetypes.s.conf
>>>
>>> I have tried these try and error game for two hours now. Can anybody
>>> please explain what the six directorys are for and what exactly is
>>> to do to configure geany for a new extension.
>>>

>> It would easier to troubleshoot if you attached/pastebinned the actual
>> file you're trying which is giving problems.
>
> Ok, say a file 'test.s'
> ----------------------
>     LDA #0
>     RTS
>
> I have all 6 dirs populated with the same filetype.s.conf but it is
> not found.

Please pastebin the actual file you are trying, it's impossible to test
it otherwise. Without seeing the file to know if it's wrong or not, I
still suspect it's the lower-case `s` in the filename.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush