[Geany-Users] Geany portable and new filetype

Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wwl at xxxxx
Tue Oct 1 15:59:58 UTC 2013

Hallo Matthew,

> > GeanyPortable\App\DefaultData\Settings\filedefs
> > GeanyPortable\App\DefaultData\Settings\tags
> > GeanyPortable\App\Geany\data
> > GeanyPortable\Data\Data\Settings
> > GeanyPortable\Data\Data\Settings\filedefs
> > GeanyPortable\Data\Data\Settings\tags
> >
> > I don't know what they are for.
> >

> They aren't part of Geany either, but presumably it's one of the
> `filedefs` directories since that's what you're asking about.

I guess one is the default and one is a user settings directory. But
why 6. What are the tags subdirs?

> > I have edited the 4. and 5. of them and included a line: S=*.s;
> >
> > I also have created a file
> >
> > GeanyPortable\Data\settings\filedefs\filetypes.s
> >
> > and copyed this to
> >
> > GeanyPortable\Data\settings\filedefs\filetypes.s.conf
> >

> You definitively don't need both. You want a file called
> `filetypes.S.conf` (notice upper case S - it's important). You need to
> put that into whatever directory the portable version finds filedefs
> from.

In Windows the upper- and lower case names are identical!

> > but neither the syntax highlighter nor the build command is
> > recogniced.
> >
> > If I try to use the menu to configure the build commands, these
> > commands get saved in the file
> >
> > GeanyPortable\Data\settings\filedefs\filetypes.common
> > not in
> > filetypes.s.conf
> >
> > I have tried these try and error game for two hours now. Can anybody
> > please explain what the six directorys are for and what exactly is
> > to do to configure geany for a new extension.
> >

> It would easier to troubleshoot if you attached/pastebinned the actual
> file you're trying which is giving problems.

Ok, say a file 'test.s'
   LDA #0
   RTS