[Geany-Users] Some questions about tags

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Nov 18 14:09:10 UTC 2013

Le 18/11/2013 14:44, Carlos Pita a écrit :
> [...]
>
> 2) I don't fully understand the relationship between tag management
> in geany and ctags. I see geany includes it's own copy of ctags
> source.

Geany embeds a copy of CTags that it uses as a library (and not external
program).  Our copy has been patched over the years to fix and improve
parsers, as CTags used not to be really responsive on patches.

> But: i) does it honour my ctags user configuration? (for example,
> I've written custom rules for the R language);

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% positive.  I'm sure Geany won't
recognize a new language added like this, but I'm not 100% sure you
couldn't add more rules to an existing language.  I don't know that part
of CTags much.

All this said, since quite recently Geany is able to load vanilla CTags
global tags files, so you could generate those using CTags and load them
in Geany.  But it won't affect in-Geany parsing (e.g. symbol list and
new tags).

Regards,
Colomban