[Geany-Users] [Geany-Plugins] Please consider adding GTK3 support for your plugin(s)

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Mar 18 14:02:12 UTC 2013

Hi dear plugins developers,

Now Geany and Geany-Plugins 1.23 are out, I merged support for GTK3 in
Geany, and added initial support for building Geany-Plugins against a
GTK3 build of Geany.

As you might know, GTK3 has some incompatibilities with GTK2, and GTK3
code often requires some adjustments to work with GTK3.  Since it is not
possible to load both GTK2 and GTK3 in the same program, a GTK3 build of
Geany requires plugins also built against GTK3.

So, I'd like to ask you to consider adjusting your plugins so they build
with GTK3 too.  Note that *we don't mean to remove GTK2 support*, so
adjusting your plugin should make it work with *both* GTK2 and GTK3.

The plugins that currently don't build against GTK3 are:

 * Addons
 * Debugger
 * DevHelp
 * GeanyDoc
 * GeanyInsertNum
 * GeanyLaTeX
 * GeanyLipsum
 * GeanyLua
 * GeanyMacro
 * GeanyMiniScript
 * GeanyNumberedBookmarks
 * GeanyPrj
 * GeanyVC
 * GProject
 * Markdown
 * MultiTerm
 * Pretty Printer
 * Scope
 * Spellcheck
 * TreeBrowser

There are also some plugins that do build against GTK3, but that may
require adjustments to render perfectly[1]:

 * CodeNav
 * GeanyExtraSel
 * GeanySendmail
 * GeanyPG
 * GeniusPaste
 * ShiftColumn
 * Tableconvert
 * Updatechecker
 * XMLSnippets

If you need any assistance to add GTK3 support for your plugin or have
any question about it, feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Colomban

[1] GTK3 behaves a little differently than GTK2 on some matters,
particularly with some widget packing.  It is however totally possible
(and not hard) to get packing rules that work exactly the same on both
GTK2 and GTK3.