[Geany-Users] Hi! New to Geany. How does one ftp to production?

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Jul 20 19:20:47 UTC 2013

On 13-07-20 07:24 AM, Colin wrote:
> Hi!  New and really want to like Geany. =)
>

> We have a php production system, where we develop in a local dev directory,
> then move to a local test directory and if it passes test, then move those
> files to out to the web to production/out for use by our user base.
>

> We have a full on packaging and push system that we use for full releases to
> the web, but developers do a lot of small releases as well along the way.
>

> Any suggestions on how to do ftp directly from Geany after the files have
> been tested?
>

> This seems like a really easy thing.  Any help?  Thoughts?  What does
> everyone do?
>

> Note: We haven't yet found away to actually copy a file to test yet in
> Geany.  But a local ftp and an external would work just as well as a copy to
> the test directory.  Seems like a nig hole for any web developer using this.
> =)  Recommendations much appreciated.

Here's what I would do...

1. Write a little shell/php-cli/whatever script to copy the files from
dev directory to test directory (and optionally launch the site in your
web-browser to actually see the results).

2. Setup a build command called "Test" and configure it to run your
script from step 1.

3. Use the keybindings or menu or toolbar items to run the build command
from step 2, which will copy your files to the correct place (and
optionally launching the site in your browser).

4. Repeat 1-3, but instead creating a "Deploy" command that copies the
files to the remote production file system.

Assuming your using any reasonable operating system (including Win32
even), you can mount a remote directory as a local file system, so the
little script to copy files around would be trivial.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush