[Geany-Users] [patch] Improved brackets completion

Pavel Roschin roshin at xxxxx
Fri Apr 5 19:04:48 UTC 2013

Hello!

I'm currently working on patch (not plugin) that may improve current
brackets auto-closing. Patch is under construction but I hope for
feedback - may be you are interesting in some on those features in
geany and may be you have some ideas how to do it better.

Already implemented features. To use it all, enable all brackets
completion in preferences.

* auto-complete second char for: {, [, (, ", ' as geany does (rewritten
  logic)
* disable brackets auto-completion inside strings and comments
* delete second completed char if you pressed BackSpace
* suppress inserting one char twice (if you type "{}" you will get
  "{}", not "{}}")
* wrap selected text into brackets instead of removing selection
  (select text and type "(" or ")" to wrap selection into "()")
* keep selection in cause of wrapping
* for C-like languages wrapping selection into "{}" makes
  auto-indentation (select text and type "{" or "}" - text will be
  wrapped and indented)
* {}-wrapper moves cursor to beginning (before first "{"
* for C-like languages to insert {}-block you do not need to select
  text precisely: geany detects boundaries automatically, just ensure
  that selection covers lines you need to indent (works like TAB
  indentation)
* fix auto-indent inside {} for C-like languages (makes full indent for
  this block)
* auto-close functions ("sin(|" -> "sin(|);") with double-chars
  suppression (for C only)

Patch itself and planning features you will find on my github:
https://github.com/scriptum/geany-patches/

I also planning to move all brackets logic from editor_notify to GTK's
key-press-event because of lack of features in editor_notify events. Is
it possible? I tried it and seems that it works fine...

--
Pavel aka RPG