[Geany] setting up 'plaintext' file type

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Sep 7 23:34:31 UTC 2012

On 12-09-07 02:06 PM, Miranda Hawarden-Ogata wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7 September 2012 12:50, Miranda Hawarden-Ogata
>> <hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been using geany for a couple months and really like it as my nedit
>>> replacement, but I'm running into an annoying problem that I'm not sure how
>>> to resolve. I maintain a "running notes" file in my public_html directory,
>>> its extension is one of our invisible php includes but I don't want the file
>>> syntax-highlighting as a php file, I want to be able to create a plaintext
>>> file type that I can select that has basically no formatting whatsoever.
>>
>> If the extension you use doesn't apply to anything you want
>> highlighted then you can take it out of the filetypes.extensions file
>> so it won't be recognised as a filetype.
>>
>> Otherwise you can set the filetype to none and it should not highlight
>> anything menu->document->set filetype->none
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lex
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, Lex, Matthew, unfortunately the issue I
> mentioned below occurs even when I set the filetype to "none" (via
> menu->document->set filetype->none). Digging through the preferences
> again, I ran across "use indicators to show compile errors" and the
> hover-tip explains that it underlines with the squiggly underline that
> I'm seeing, but I have that setting turned off. It's strange because I
> have geany installed on my centos box and my winxp box, and as far as
> I can tell, the preferences for both are set up the same, but the <?
> in the same file triggers the indicator in the centos geany only. Is
> there something else I can try?

It could be that the CentOS version is really old and maybe there used
to be a bug that is since fixed. Or maybe you have plugin on the CentOS
box that's doing it but it's not installed in the Windows version. You
can also remove the markers/error indicators using Document menu->Remove
Markers and Remove Error Indicators, though likely they will come back
later from whatever is causing the squiggles to show up.

Otherwise, I don't know.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush