[Geany] setting up 'plaintext' file type

Miranda Hawarden-Ogata hawarden at xxxxx
Fri Sep 7 21:06:48 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 September 2012 12:50, Miranda Hawarden-Ogata
> <hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using geany for a couple months and really like it as my nedit
>> replacement, but I'm running into an annoying problem that I'm not sure how
>> to resolve. I maintain a "running notes" file in my public_html directory,
>> its extension is one of our invisible php includes but I don't want the file
>> syntax-highlighting as a php file, I want to be able to create a plaintext
>> file type that I can select that has basically no formatting whatsoever.
>
> If the extension you use doesn't apply to anything you want
> highlighted then you can take it out of the filetypes.extensions file
> so it won't be recognised as a filetype.
>
> Otherwise you can set the filetype to none and it should not highlight
> anything menu->document->set filetype->none
>
> Cheers
> Lex

Thanks for the suggestions, Lex, Matthew, unfortunately the issue I
mentioned below occurs even when I set the filetype to "none" (via
menu->document->set filetype->none). Digging through the preferences
again, I ran across "use indicators to show compile errors" and the
hover-tip explains that it underlines with the squiggly underline that
I'm seeing, but I have that setting turned off. It's strange because I
have geany installed on my centos box and my winxp box, and as far as
I can tell, the preferences for both are set up the same, but the <?
in the same file triggers the indicator in the centos geany only. Is
there something else I can try?

Thanks!
Miranda