[Geany-Users] Geany Icon

Lex Trotman elextr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 07:59:43 UTC 2012

On 14 October 2012 18:30, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> On 12-10-14 12:05 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Geany has in the past specified a fixed image, (the jewel encrusted
>> teapot), as the icon to use for its top level window.
>>
>> There has been a request for Geany to follow the icon set by the theme.
>>   This has been committed.
>>
>> However one of the icons provided by some themes has caused some
>> consternation.
>>
>> So an option to continue to use the Geany icon instead of the theme has
>> also been committed.
>>
>> This mail is to get users preference for the default setting, use the
>> Geany
>> icon or use the theme icon (with the Geany one as a fallback if the theme
>> has none).
>>

> I think the default should be to follow the standard[1]:
>
> "Icons and themes are looked for in a set of directories. By default, apps
> should look in $HOME/.icons (for backwards compatibility), in
> $XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons and in /usr/share/pixmaps (in that order).
> Applications may further add their own icon directories to this list, and
> users may extend or change the list (in application/desktop specific
> ways).In each of these directories themes are stored as subdirectories. A
> theme can be spread across several base directories by having
> subdirectories of the same name. This way users can extend and override
> system themes."
>
> And then further down:
>
> "It is recommended that the icons installed in the hicolor theme look
> neutral, since it is a fallback theme that will be used in combination with
> some very different looking themes. But if you don't have any neutral icon,
> please install whatever icon you have in the hicolor theme so that all
> applications get at least some icon in all themes."
>
> And in another place:
>
> "The lookup inside a theme is done in three phases. First all the
> directories are scanned for an exact match, e.g. one where the allowed size
> of the icon files match what was looked up. Then all the directories are
> scanned for any icon that matches the name. If that fails we finally fall
> back on unthemed icons. If we fail to find any icon at all it is up to the
> application to pick a good fallback, as the correct choice depends on the
> context."
>
> So we should not, according to my interpretation, override the user's
> chosen icon theme icons and our own installed fallback hicolor icon with
> the hardcoded/inline/embedded icon unless no other icon can be found.

That does not say that the user should *not* be able to choose to override
the theme.  That is another explicit user choice.

>  Users can always change the setting at any time, this is only what should
>> be the default.
>>

> IMO, the setting is redundant because you can use the DE/GTK icon theme
> mechanisms to change what icon is use

The DE/GTK mechanism is complex, varies and needs to be applied to each
theme, this is simple.  For the few lines the setting requires, it seems
silly to question having a setting that can make both groups of users
happy, hence the question is only what the default choice should be.