[Geany-Users] Geany Icon

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sun Oct 14 07:30:26 UTC 2012

On 12-10-14 12:05 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Geany has in the past specified a fixed image, (the jewel encrusted
> teapot), as the icon to use for its top level window.
>
> There has been a request for Geany to follow the icon set by the theme.
>   This has been committed.
>
> However one of the icons provided by some themes has caused some
> consternation.
>
> So an option to continue to use the Geany icon instead of the theme has
> also been committed.
>
> This mail is to get users preference for the default setting, use the Geany
> icon or use the theme icon (with the Geany one as a fallback if the theme
> has none).

I think the default should be to follow the standard[1]:

"Icons and themes are looked for in a set of directories. By default,
apps should look in $HOME/.icons (for backwards compatibility), in
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons and in /usr/share/pixmaps (in that order).
Applications may further add their own icon directories to this list,
and users may extend or change the list (in application/desktop specific
ways).In each of these directories themes are stored as subdirectories.
A theme can be spread across several base directories by having
subdirectories of the same name. This way users can extend and override
system themes."

And then further down:

"It is recommended that the icons installed in the hicolor theme look
neutral, since it is a fallback theme that will be used in combination
with some very different looking themes. But if you don't have any
neutral icon, please install whatever icon you have in the hicolor theme
so that all applications get at least some icon in all themes."

And in another place:

"The lookup inside a theme is done in three phases. First all the
directories are scanned for an exact match, e.g. one where the allowed
size of the icon files match what was looked up. Then all the
directories are scanned for any icon that matches the name. If that
fails we finally fall back on unthemed icons. If we fail to find any
icon at all it is up to the application to pick a good fallback, as the
correct choice depends on the context."

So we should not, according to my interpretation, override the user's
chosen icon theme icons and our own installed fallback hicolor icon with
the hardcoded/inline/embedded icon unless no other icon can be found.

> Users can always change the setting at any time, this is only what should
> be the default.

IMO, the setting is redundant because you can use the DE/GTK icon theme
mechanisms to change what icon is used.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

[1]