[Geany-Users] [Geany] other small annoying issues in geany editor

Lex Trotman elextr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 08:55:15 UTC 2012

On 7 October 2012 19:26, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/10/5 Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com>:
> >

> > On 5 October 2012 23:00, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> since I switched to Geany as my main code editor, I feel there are two
> >> other minor issues:
> >>
> >> Search copy on Linux
> >>
> >> 1. do a text search in a file
> >> 2. keep the search dialog open
> >> 3. select one or more lines dragging the mouse with left button pressed
> >> 4. close the search dialog
> >> 5. paste the selected text by pressing the central mouse button
> >> 6. nothing happens
> >>

> > This works for me on current Git.
>
> Sorry, I forgot one piece:
>
> -1. select a word with the mouse double click,
> 0. copy it with CTRL+C
> 1. do a text search in a file
> 2. keep the search dialog open
> 3. select one or more lines dragging the mouse with left button pressed
> 4. close the search dialog
> 5. paste the selected text by pressing the central mouse button
> 6. the first word (selected with CTRL+C) is pasted instead of that
> selected with the mouse

Sadly this is a fight between the two ways of doing things, copy (ctrl+c)
and paste(ctrl+v) and select/paste with middle button.  There is still much
religious debate as to how (if) the two should interact, search any
relevant GTK list :(  I'm sure KDE has or has had similar discussions.  At
the moment the current thinking seems to be that a clipboard takes
precedence over the selection, so the text you copied takes precedence over
the text you selected.  Personally I would have kept the two disconnected,
but that confuses many people and copy/paste doesn't work with some
applications (like any terminal window).  This behaviour happens inside
Scintilla/GTK and is poorly documented and possibly even changes between
versions of GTK (Scintilla is generally rather more stable but doesn't
document its behaviour either) and is beyond our control in any case.

> >> Copy $ vars on Linux
> >>
> >> 1. double click on a $ var, like $varname
> >> 2. paste  by pressing the central mouse button
> >> 3. the $ is not pasted but only the "varname" part
> >>

> > Only varname is selected so thats all that is pasted.  This is a
> function of
> > the definition of what is a word to be selected by the double click.
> >

> Yes, it's clear to me that the $ is not selected, I'm asking why.
>
> What I mean (and all KDE-based editors behave like that) is that the $
> sign IS part of the (variable) word, and I normally want to copy that
> too.

There has been a change in the last couple of days in the Git version that
might help with this, allowing the definition of that constitutes a "word"
as defined by a filetype file to override the default value.  You might be
able to add $ to the definition of wordchars for whatever your filetype is.