[Geany] Windows Version: Remote Login through Open File

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Oct 5 03:28:13 UTC 2012

On 5 October 2012 13:05, Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net> wrote:

> I use Geany on my WinXP office workstation to develop code on a remote
> Linux box. This is done through Windows file sharing (SMB/Samba) and it
> works very well except for one detail. When I start Geany at the start of a
> session, and it tries to open the files that it had open when I shut down
> the previous session (or just through File->Open) it fails because I am not
> yet logged in through Windows to the remote box. If I use an Explorer
> window to browse the files first, that gives me the login dialog, and after
> I've logged in with that, Geany is happy.
>
> Can Geany be enhanced to present the user with that login dialog rather
> than just giving up? It seems likely that it can since other apps do it
> (though not surprisingly, neither Word nor Notepad). For example Adobe
> Reader and Wireshark (another GTK app ported to Windows) both do this.
>
> Many thanks,

Hi Bob,

Geany relies on the operating system to mount remote files locally where it
can access them.  It does not know about remote files at all.  So Geany has
no basis to know it should mount the remote filesystem.  Applications like
windows explorer or the equivalent Linux file managers are specifically
designed to analyse and understand mixed file systems, so they can
determine that they need to mount the share when you access something in it.

That level of functionality might also be available on the open dialog (on
Linux, not sure about windows), but it is hidden inside GTK/Windows open
dialog and not available to Geany, after mounting a share the open dialog
just passes Geany a pathname with no info that it is remote. So there is
nothing that says mounting is needed when re-opening from the session.

Whilst you could raise a feature request, realistically it is unlikely that
filesystem handling (which of course would have to work on Linux, Win and
Mac) would be included in a lightweight IDE like Geany since it would
require all paths saved in the session be analysed to see if a mount is
needed.

If I recall there is a way to make windows mount the share on login, asking
you for a remote password then.  Not sure how to set it though.