[Geany] Windows Version: Remote Login through Open File

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at xxxxx
Fri Oct 5 03:05:04 UTC 2012

I use Geany on my WinXP office workstation to develop code on a remote
Linux box. This is done through Windows file sharing (SMB/Samba) and it
works very well except for one detail. When I start Geany at the start
of a session, and it tries to open the files that it had open when I
shut down the previous session (or just through File->Open) it fails
because I am not yet logged in through Windows to the remote box. If I
use an Explorer window to browse the files first, that gives me the
login dialog, and after I've logged in with that, Geany is happy.

Can Geany be enhanced to present the user with that login dialog rather
than just giving up? It seems likely that it can since other apps do it
(though not surprisingly, neither Word nor Notepad). For example Adobe
Reader and Wireshark (another GTK app ported to Windows) both do this.

Many thanks,

Bob S.