[Geany] Geany autocompletion

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Oct 4 12:04:39 UTC 2012

On 4 October 2012 21:19, Sebastien Berthiaume <a1800bert at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering, I'm trying to set the autocompletion in Geany and I have
> some problem.
>
> I tryied to generate a tag file using the command:
>
> geany -g [file.tags] [*.c *.h] (from my source folder)
>
> Then I load it using the "Menu-Tools-Load Tags" command.
>
> But, it does not display any possiblities when I type [myStruct->] other
> than the one found in the local file...
>
> BUT, if I right click on my structure and go to "Go to tag definitions" it
> open the right files and show me the possibilities. Thus, I guess my tag
> file is ok.
>
> Can someone explain me why, I can't get the autocompletion to look for the
> definitions and offer me choices?

Just to be sure, you have something like

struct fred {
  int blah;
  int foo;
};

in a file that is fed to the geany -g mytags.c.tags

You have loaded the mytags.c.tags file automatically or manually ( and
menu->help->debug messages has a message saying it loaded)

In some file (other than the one above) you have

struct fred b;

when you type b-> you don't get blah and foo as options?

You have not said what version or platform you are using, but the above
works on the current git version on Linux.

All the above declarations must be top level for it to work, it is noted in
the manual that it won't work for local declarations.

Finally you can't goto a declaration that is in a tag file, the tags
information doesn't include the file the tag is from.