[Geany] sort tabs

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Oct 3 02:53:53 UTC 2012

On 12-10-02 02:56 AM, Gordon Wrigley wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it possible to have the file tabs ordered alphabetically?
>
> I'm still struggling to find a good way to manage open files, the documents
> sidebar is nice but can't be onscreen at the same time as the symbols
> sidebar. The file tabs rapidly fill up the available space, moving them to
> the side fixes that, but once you have a couple of dozen finding any
> particular one is hard.

This sounded easy enough to quickly do in a plugin, and was.

Here's the code:
https://gist.github.com/3824677

It disables tab reordering when loaded and sorts all open(ed) document
tabs by display name "alphabetically". When it's unloaded, it re-enables
tab reordering so you can do it manually again.

Compile and install using instructions on Geany's Plugin "How To" page.

P.S. I wrote and tested the plugin in about 30 minutes so it might have
some bugs or something but it seems to Work Fine For Me.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush