[Geany] Incompatible UI change, removal of actions from ctrl-click

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Fri May 25 20:51:26 UTC 2012

Am 24.05.2012 03:27, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> [posted to both devel and user lists, sorry to those on both]
>
> Hi All,
>
> Geany currently hard codes two actions to the<ctrl>-<left mouse down>
> input, "goto tag" if the click is over an identifier or "goto matching
> brace" otherwise.

It also also mapped to rectangular selection which is a huge annoyance
(it obviously doesn't work most of the time if a tag/matching brace is
found).

> I did a quick check on my system and didn't find any application that
> did not comply with that guideline, so Geany is the odd one out.

Eclipse uses ctrl+click for the same operation. However only if you
press ctrl first and then move the mouse pointer a tiny bit. This seems
to be necessary to enter some "make tags clickable html-like links" mode.

> Geany has not supported multiple selections so it hasn't been an issue
> (other than being non-standard and occasionally confusing users), but
> as there is a proposal to add support for multiple selections to Geany
> this non-standard behavior is now a problem.
>
> As both actions now have a default keybinding (in Git version) I
> propose that the binding to<ctrl>-<left mouse down>  simply be
> removed.

Clearly the behavior needs to be changed, or at least changable by the
user. And goto tag/matching brace needs to trigger on mouse-button-up to
allow selection actions to take place. The multiple and incompatible
mapping are a problem since a long time and really annoying indeed.

Best regards.