[Geany] Discussion with Zhenech, list of suggestions for geany

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu May 3 03:18:51 UTC 2012

On 12-05-02 09:27 AM, Andrei Kopats wrote:
> Hi, Zhenech
>
> You said in IRC, that Geany is the best and I should terminate my project.
> I can't stand and will troll you back ...   ;)
>
> I found few problems while have been using Geany:
>
> [...]
> 2. After file has been changed on disk, Geany does not show it with
> icon. I don't know, that file has been changed, until activated it.
> 3. When I activate file, changed on disk, Geany interrupts me with modal
> dialogue, even if now I just want to move to next file after changed one.

+1

> [...]
> it just wastes space on the screen, All experienced users use shortcuts.

[citation needed]

> [...]
> 11. Geany uses main menu to switch current file indentation mode. IMHO
> it is better to use status bar button, which is both indicator and
> switcher. I spend about 1 min to find item in the main menu and now
> don't remember, where it is located.

It should definitively be in the menu, but I agree having a shortcut
through the status bar is a good idea. I've been planning to implement
this once I get some time.

> [...]
> intuitive and simple. People don't like reading docs.

Programmers aren't regular people :)

> [...]
> I would join the project and fix it themselves, if it hadn't 1 really
> critical problem:
>
>      Coding in C is very slow. Scintilla and Geany can't make progress
> quickly

Ah! That explains why almost every successful desktop application is
written in Python instead of C/C++! </sarcasm>

Cheers,
Matthew Brush