[Geany] Code folding

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at xxxxx
Fri Mar 2 23:58:20 UTC 2012

I'm also going to chime in that I think the best way to handle
boilerplate is to put it in a separate module, and to load it via a
magic "import" incantation at the top.

Not only does this keep things out of the way, but it's
editor-independent and settings-independent.  And
user-input-independent!  If you rely on folding, you KNOW someone is
going to either accidentally or through curiosity hit the unfold
button.

If even a single import line is too scary, then I'm not sure these
kids are ready for programming.  At least not in Python (which I agree
is already a pretty learner-friendly language).  There are other
languages/environments specifically designed for *kid* programming,
like Alice (http://www.alice.org/).  In a pinch, you could use
Python's interactive prompt and turtle module as a kind of Logo (not
sure if this is the way Kevin meant, but I agree with him that
Python's turtle module is way cool, even as an adult).

But I don't know how well those other avenues would fit in a
curriculum centered around the Raspberry Pi.

John