[Geany] setting up Geany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jan 30 07:18:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Ross McKay <rosko at zeta.org.au> wrote:
> G'day Yigal,
>
>>I started using Geany for PHP development, working on Linux Ubuntu.
>>Need help with setting to achieve the following:
>>1- Setting up my working directory
>>2- Setting up the target director (/var/www), the place where the
>>target files will be copied to, once I finished a specific milestone,
>>so the code will be available for usage
>>3- How to  do the above copy
>
> It sounds like you will be editing locally for a remote server, is that
> correct? If not, please ignore the following :)

Hi Ross, you might be right, I read it as being on the same machine,
but its not clear.

> Can I suggest that instead, you create a local copy of the website and
> set that as your project base folder? Then you can add version control
> to that folder, edit/checkin/edit/revert etc. and finally load to the
> remote.

Good advice that applies in all circumstances.  Try the Geanyvc plugin
(not that I use it myself, shame).

> For load to remote, the nicest way is if you can use your version
> control repo as the master and then simply pull an update into your
> remote server. Alternatively, you can FTP or scp your files from your
> development copy to your server.

Yes, for remotes, Geany can be configured to run any of those commands.

> Worst case (and I really mean *worst*) is mounting the remote server
> using something like gvfs, and setting that as your Geany base folder. I
> hear that some people like doing it that way; every time I hear that I
> look nervously at my ever-depleting supply of bourbon...

Send that bourbon here for even mentioning the possibility :), It is
too easy to lose files with a minor network glitch or get unexpectedly
slow performance.